Monday, May 20, 2013

Yarn Interviews



A round of storms did us in over the weekend. Nothing like a message cancelling baseball due to "threat of tornadoes and severe storms."




So I made some progress on my yearly socks instead of spending the whole afternoon at baseball games. I finished the first sock a long while back and in my mind the second sock was somewhere around the start of the heel flap and I had convinced myself it would take a half hour or so to "find my place" when I opened the project bag. Sometimes I want to just get to the knitting, and having to think before getting started seems like too much.


I finally opened it up this weekend to find that I had actually only gotten through the 2x2 cuff and was ready to go on to the simple stockinette leg. Right to the knitting- love that. After spending Ellie's afternoon nap with the leg yesterday I'm ready for the heel flap if I get a moment today. I think our hopes of a little run-away trip are coming to fruition, so I'm spending today and tomorrow doing the things it will take to get us there.Terrible for the knitting time for a day or two, but ultimately a LOT more knitting time while we are gone.

I'm currently interviewing yarn for the trip:




Some pretty grey Regia with just a bit of coral for color in there. I hate to admit this, but I've actually never knit with this particular yarn before. I'm only a serious sock knitter in my dreams, so I guess it's not terribly shocking that I'm just now getting to Regia, but there is is- my first Regia. I'm thinking that socks are very portable, I have my sock pattern memorized and therefore don't have to take (and potentially lose) a pattern. If this is the only knitting I take for a week of vacation time I'm pretty much guaranteed a completed pair of socks when I get home (or pretty close to it).




Some gray heathered lace weight. I have a touch over 1300 yards here. Lace goes a long way for knitting. I probably wouldn't finish a project in a week of lace, but it would go a long way in getting me started on a pretty shawl.


There are other yarn options too, but today these are the two serious contenders.


I was also briefly tempted to bring 3 or 4 smaller things to finish out of my basket,, but I'm pretty sure vacation knitting time isn't really meant for seaming and binding off. I'm pretty sure knitting rules state that you have to start a new project on a trip and designate that one project to the entirety of the trip. The only scary part of it is if I find myself really wishing I was knitting something else-- and then I'm stuck with just the yarn I brought.


Hence the yarn interviews. It's important to have just the right fit so that the project will not go south and I shall not find myself wanting for different yarn. (Or maybe I'll bring the sock yarn as back up...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts to the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...